Life's Theater: Beyond Expectations

Monday, March 06, 2006

Beyond Expectations

I initially had little expectations for this performance. Expecting it to be a performance which fell into the "time filler" category, I expected an unresponsive, minute, and nonchalent audience who would monitor their watches, waiting for the big acts after us to begin.

Faye and I were initially scheduled to play for the NUS Arts Festival. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, Faye was unable to make it for this performance. I then got Ja, my singer from 7 Till Dawn, to fill in for Faye. Considering that we have been performing together in various bands for close to three years now, he seemed the best person for the job.

It turned out that the gig was immensely enjoyable and fun, despite the initial lukewarm response from the crowd. We were having fun bantering with the crowd, trying to provoke a response from them.

Boy did things change for the better once a whole class of primary school students from Concorde Secondary School was ushered to the front row of our little stage! Ja and I were having a ball of a time joking around with them, with me cracking comment after comment from their murmured responses.

The energy in the crowd took a turn for the better after I cajoled the students about who liked Chinese songs, which ended with Ja singing "An Jing" by Jay Chou. The crowd's jaws hung limp as Ja sang the entire song.

We ended the set with "Two Steps Behind", which drew fairly loud applause from the small crowd that had gathered to watch us perform. Not bad really.

~

Hopefully this little act between Ja and I will get more gigs in the future. I really enjoyed myself at the NUS Arts Festival and got to learn and practice a thing or two about audience interaction via bantering with the crowd.