Life's Theater: Twenty Six Summers and Beyond

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Twenty Six Summers and Beyond

It was a first for me, in meeting an old friend who shares the same number of summers as me, who is pregnant. The sensation was queer, in a manner that was neither positive nor negative, to say the least.
.
Yet, after having the inspiration for this post for the last five days, with the concept of a comparison and reflection on my life with that of my peers, I still cannot place a word to that queer sensation or to put a finger on how exactly it has affected me cognitively.
.
However, I do know that this feeling has inspired me towards the composition of this post, which spawned from the introspection that I underwent in search of a definition ot this reaction which I experienced in meeting a pregnant friend.
~
At being slightly over a quarter of a century old, meeting a five month pregnant friend impressed upon me a certain benchmark on the current standing of my life. Upon this introspection, my first descriptors of myself was that of an unemployed undergraduate who simply has an interest in music and drama, who tries his best to make the most out of his undergraduate experience, juggling both academically and non-academic interests.
.
At this age, in the methodologically clockwork society I call home, common expectations dictate that I should already be establishing my career path and purchasing the necessities of life that the others in my age and educational category are pursuing or have obtained.
.
Despite my constant worrying about my future employment prospects, I always wondered and questioned the attractiveness of these ideals, in the face of my pursuit of my passions and my entrepreneurial dreams. Am I being idealisitically stubborn, romanticizing my ideals of my future or fuelling a passionate dream that may turn out to be hollow and empty in facing the demands of the real world?
.
Truly, I am cautious of disappointment and fear certain failures, as my mind's eye gazes into a contemplative and speculative world of myself within the advancement of the next decade.
~
To Eileen, I wish you and Keith all the best and send all my blessings to your wonderful daughter, who will be acquainted with two wonderful parents in four months time.