Life's Theater: Forever Freedom!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Forever Freedom!

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot

In a rare show of spontaneity and temporal abandonment of my academic duties; to celebrate a minor victory of sorts and to seek some respite from the insane rush that defines university life, with no small part due to the recommendation of a temptress of the pro-entertainment vein, I decided on the night of the first day of the week to catch the Wachowski Brother's highly rated V for Vendetta (of which it was purported that The Matrix drew part of its inspiration from).

In all honesty, I was completely blown away and amazed at the execution of the show, of the manner in which violence and brutality were depicted, of the prose, blank verse and iambic pentameters used in its conversations without overbearing the style of the movie and of the many symbolisms subtly slotted into the course of the show.

The people should not be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of the people

A movie in which I can walk out of the theater remembering a fair number of its quotes ad verbatim is, in my books, plain awesome. To Alan Moore, the creator of the graphic novel that spawned this movie, I salute your vision, creativity and genius.

Ideals are bulletproof


If you are in search of Hollywood fare of the typical garden variety, chances are, you might think that the movie aims to propel itself via its overly complicated language and perspectives, to confound its audience, or that the movie is plain fluff. Perhaps this movie is not for you then. However, almost all of those whom I have spoken to so far agree with me that the movie is nothing short of pure brilliance.

I would tell you unabashedly, in the midst of week 12 of the semster to take two hours off your hectic schedule to catch this movie. It will be worth it.

Hell, I'm definately getting the DVD when its released.