Life's Theater: Reminiscence

Monday, March 27, 2006

Reminiscence

Call me a sentimental old fool, but I simply could not walk away without some form of a final goodbye.

I returned today, one last time, to pay my respects and to give her a final farewell.

~

Farewell old friend, for our on-off relationship since 1988, when I first resided in your stately presence. Thank you for accompanying me over the many quiet and lonely nights with the warmth of your steady security, whispering your soft creaks and untold secrets which up till today, I have yet to decipher.

You alone bore witness to the many milestones in my life, from my many firsts to my growth and maturity as an individual. You alone heard every word whispered, spoken and sung from these lips. Despite your impassionate silence, you experienced my every emotion as a growing child, from denial, anger, rejection, fury, violence, impassioned stubbornness to my transition of calm, humor, resilience, joy. You suffered with my actions and decisions made, from the broken windows and doors to the drama that unfolded within the household.

Denied of voice, you silently acknowledged all my secrets and kept them as such. I thank you for your steady companionship.

Farewell, for come our next meeting, I may never find you standing there again.

~

I stood in the driveway, a tinge of melancholy twisting my heart as I saw her basked in a shroud darkness. On the morrow, the plug of life support will be pulled. No longer will she pulse with the spark of electrical life and channel the substance of life through her veins. Come another two more months and she will be no more.

Forlorn, I stepped in, respectful of the encompassing silence and whispered my last words to her. Flooded with the many memories which she alone had bore witness to, I stared blankly, mental photographs of her once occupied halls, coupled with the bustle of what only a home can be ringing in my mind.

I learnt all about my life, by looking into her empty halls.

Soon, you shall be no more. You shall be forgotten by some, or made a faded memory by a select few, but rest assured that your memory will always live on in my heart.

You will be sorely missed.

~

In silence, I entered the car, backed out of the driveway and left, my sorrow sated by the knowledge that I have said my farewells and that it was time to move on.